Thursday, August 17, 2006

Stadium foodcourt

There is a name for these row of stalls wrapped around the exterior (well, it's on the east side) of Perak Stadium ... but I honestly never noticed. I just call it the stadium foodcourt. Maybe I'll notice it the next time I get around there; and update the title of this topic.

I like this place. Besides ample parking in front of the stalls on the service road, this place has quite a bit of variety for the breakfast and lunch going crowd. Most of the stalls are non-halal, but there's a strip closer to the swimming pools that caters specificly to Muslim patrons with Malay-owned stalls. Don't assume that all the other stalls in the foodcourt are non-halal though ... There's a rather popular char koay teow stall (just 2 stalls away from the stadium's east-side entrance) that is not only pork-free, but certified as halal by the authorities - check out that green halal seal on the signboard:



I dunno about it being from Taiping or not ... but I can attest to the fact that this stall serves up some pretty good-tasting char koay teow, halal or otherwise. But I still prefer my favorite dish in this foodcourt - the Hong Kong chee cheong fun:



A bit pricey at RM2.80 for a large plate (well for us Ipohites la) but it's the best I can find without going downtown. You can have it with either char siew or fresh prawn fillings, or both.

There are many other good stuff here ... try the jawa mee, wan tan mee, and the other char koay teow stalls (except the ones open at night - yuks). I also heard that the banana leaf curry stall next to the halal char koay teow is very popular for its cook-on-order fish head curry. And judging by the crowd during lunchtime and the heavenly smells coming outta the stall ... it's good :D

Note: This post has been read 4 times in the past.

1 comment: