Monday, July 24, 2006

Kinta City Foodcourt

Just a quick post on one of my favorite places to grab a quick bite: Kinta City Foodcourt - otherwise known to locals as "the Jusco foodcourt".

What I like about this foodcourt is the fact that it's big, convenient (especially when I need to grab some stuff at Jusco), air-conditioned, and clean. Plenty of parking space on Kinta City's roof parks and great access from there down to the foodcourt, too. A friend who works nearby told me once that this is the only logical place to have lunch during weekdays due to the abundance of parking lots, relatively sparse traffic - and air-conditioning on the cheap :P

All the feel-good atmosphere of a makan place is for nothing, if it doesn't serve up at least palatable food. And boy, do I have a favorite here; vegetarian rice!



This selection, for instance. It costs just RM2.50! Enough to feed the vegetarian fetish in me, hehehe ... Mind you, it's not the best vegetarian I've had so far (that's another review) but for a quick, easy, and comfortable vegan meal? This has no comparison. But here's a tip if you wanna sample fresh vegetarian dishes here: Have your meal between 12pm~2pm and 6pm~8pm. This is when they have just cooked up the dishes. If you go anywhere in between, you *might* have some problem with variety and soggy veggies. Especially the fried rice and noodles. Stay away from them if you're not planning to have them for lunch.

Besides this vegetarian rice, there are some other notable stalls, too. Like yong tau foo and chee cheong fun, and claypot chicken rice. I'll grab some photos of these dishes and add them to this forum thread as-and-when I have these dishes; you're most welcome to link to yours if you have them before me ;)

Edit August 10, 2006: Had the great vegetarian rice again this evening for dinner, and ... the yong tau foo. This plate cost me RM4.60. I had a stackful of kangkung somewhere down there ...



Conclusions: a great place for quick makan before/after shopping or catching a movie at Kinta City Shopping Centre. 5% of your bill will go to the government as sales tax here, but I don't think that's a big hindrance to enjoying a meal - consider it as the price to pay for convenience and comfort. There was some noise made in the local papers some time ago about the high prices of bottled mineral water sold in this foodcourt. All I can say to these folks is: you don't have to buy it if the price ain't right ;) I buy my Jusco Selection Mineral Water (1.5L) at the supermarket below and bring it up prior to my meals (cheap, hehehe yeah) ... you are welcome to try that, too!

Note: This post has been read 28 times in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment